Tuesday

A summer of tennis...and houses made of sticks?


After feeling somewhat liverish and bloated from a rare over-indulgence during the hurly burley of the festive season, I thought it important that I participate in a sporting activity before I started to feel more than a little out of sorts.  Luckily, Melbourne has a myriad of activities on offer over the summer period, and none more exciting than the Australian Open.  I was fortunate indeed this year to be a guest at the opening day of this year's tournament and was pleased that I could vaguely assert to anyone who cared to ask that I had recently taken up an intensive sporting activity!

While my experience at "The Open" was wonderful due to the electric atmosphere of the crowds and actually being part of the event, I lamented that not all tennis lovers can enjoy the experience of a live crowd enjoying centre court action. However, I was pleased to discover today, that Melbourne has done all it can to create centre court atmosphere for those not fortunate enough to attend the live action.  Dotted through the city in scenic, well appointed and convenient locations to transport, food and beverages are public "tennis points" where all and sundry can pull up a deck chair, relax and watch the live action on big screens...all free of charge.  It made me very proud of the thoughtfulness of my city.  Tennis Australia had even set up tennis activities and give aways at each location to amuse the punters between matches. 



My other pleasant discovery today was the charming and somewhat enchanting installation that currently graces Melbourne's Federation Square. Titled "Ballroom", the structure is by Patrick Dougherty, who over the last 20 years has built more than 200 gravity defying works around the world.

Patrick has bent, woven and flexed a humble pile of sticks to create this wonderful freestanding structure that quite frankly, left me, and those around me, more than a little gob-smacked...


...but not quite gob-smacked enough not to find myself a comfortable seat along the river to enjoy a cold, and refreshingly crisp Red Hill Estate 2010 Pinot Grigio from Melbourne's Mornington Peninsula. A most fitting drop to end a fruitful day of exploring. 

Game, set and match!





6 comments:

  1. I loved visiting Melbourne for the Open in 2011. I wish I were there again now. And how did Miss Kittie France not get us together when I was there? Maybe you were off galavanting across the globe.

    News reports also tell me that the players are gobsmacked with the improvements Tennis Australia has made to the tournament in the last year. Besides giving a larger percentage of the proceeds to the players than any other major, TA has also improved and expanded the grounds of the tennis park. It sounds like a great thing.

    Go Roger!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Joseph. The city seems to be awash with tennis in a totally new way at the moment...very exciting. I look forward to meeting you when you are next in Melbourne...or when I am next in Chicago!

      Delete
    2. Joseph, not only did I neglect to introduce you to Mr Akers, I also failed to take you to a favourite hangout of mine and Baron's: the appropriately named watering hole Self Preservation. I cannot fathom why. It just goes to show that you need to come back here. Roger needs you, and so do we. Heaven knows Aussies could benefit from a little Joseph the Butler wisdom and polish.

      Delete
  2. Some of these were built at my local Arboretum; I think they are fabulous. I have never been to Australia but I sure have lots of your plants in my very similiar (climate-wise) garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh that's interesting. They were made in CA and sent to Australia? Interesting.

      Delete
  3. I too think they are fabulous La Vie Quotidienne! I would love to see a whole village of them.

    ReplyDelete