Wednesday

A wander through the lanes...an oasis in the sky!

In a previous post, I have all too briefly mentioned the many bars that line the maze-like network of Melbourne's lanes but I know "our lanes" require a more detailed examination.  Melbourne lanes have become the focus for casual, alfresco cafe dining in the CBD and have become such a popular destination for locals and tourists alike, that the many cafes, bars and tiny boutiques now feature on tourist maps and in "Where to Eat and Drink" guides.  Degraves Street running between Flinders Street and Flinders Lane is one of the more popular and now even has its own business directory!


But what appeals to me most, and increasingly to more and more tourists, is the more 'grass roots', even seemier nature of our lanes.  Street art has taken over a number of less well frequented and known lane ways...and Melbourne loves it.  These smaller (and often smellier) lanes have fast become a 'must see' for our international backpacker brigade and are even promoted by the City of Melbourne in its What's On website. Well, there goes the street cred!


None-the-less, the street art lanes are a fascinating and rewarding glimpse of Melbourne and the art work is at the very least skillful and well worth a visit.


One aspect of the street art that I particularly like is the emergence of what I like to call, Wallposter Art...pre-prepared installations that are often very two dimensional and are usually designed to provoke an idea or concept in the viewer.  I am still looking for the creator of this wonderful piece to take them up on the offer. 


As with any day of adventure and exploration in the sun, one must eventually seek a shady spot to recharge the batteries. Looking to the sky for inspiration (and to see where in the city I was in relation to my favourite drinking holes), I found the perfect location...the roof top bar of the Carlton Hotel.  While not a spot I frequent often, it is perfect for a hot summers day and an unusually novel oasis in an often frantic city.



Given my surrounds, the shady spot provided by the roof top trees and the warm scent of jasmine in the air, I decided to start the evening with an old standard...a Negroni. I have just rediscovered the Negroni after many years of neglect.  Made this time in an old fashion tumbler with one part gin, one part Vermouth rosso and one part Campari, poured over ice and garnished with a sliver of orange peel, I feel that I am not only floating high above the city but truly in aperitif heaven!

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like the kind of place that is right up my alley! Cafes, bars, street art and a blue sky. Thanks for taking us on a stroll through the Melbourne lanes!

    If you like street art, you may want to check out the free app, Urbacolors. It was created by the fiance of a blogger friend (Mlle Ella Coquine) of mine in Paris. Here's the link for the website: Urbacolors. Even though the website is in French, the app is in English and French.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link Mary Kay. I will certainly check it out.

      Delete
  2. Well I can join you for a Negroni, that's for sure, but I so do not like the "street art". I find it vile and offensive. Your city is so beautiful and the graffiti has overtaken the buildings and walls, it's just not my cup of tea. And yes, Melbourne seems to encourage the art, or at least night fight it. I would form an anti-grafitti brigade so quickly and we would work diligently to remove the scatter-hazard art from your fair and good city. It's worse than the locks on the bridges in Paris.

    Now, about the Negroni...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say Joseph, I do like my street art to be somewhat designed. I too dislike the "tags" and "scribbles" that creep up the walls of buildings. I do however, love the uncontained nature of skillful artistic expression. Next time you visit our fair city, perhaps I can show you some of my favourite pieces before finding a suitable location to have that Negroni...I am sure Miss Kittie will be keen to join us!

      Delete
  3. Oh, and I loved visiting the lanes, although I needed more time there. And there's a new Comme des Garcons shop in the lanes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas Joseph, the Comme des Garcons shop was a pop up and is no longer there. I do however, know of a couple of favourite stockists that have an excellent range.

      Delete