Tuesday

Little library...big idea!!!


Much to my chagrin, I had need today to duck into a rather large shopping centre in central Melbourne in search of an emergency umbrella.  Normally I would avoid such places like a heavy cold...a malady that shopping centres seem to have in abundance...but today it was something I just had to do if I was not to find myself fighting pneumonia instead of a runny nose. 

Much to my more than pleasant surprise however, I stumbled into something of which I wholeheartedly approve and applaud.  A "Little Library" for city workers and shoppers who find themselves short of something to read. Yes!  A free, mini library that invites all and sundry to "borrow" a book and return it on completion or replace it with a book of their own for which they no longer have use.  The "Little Library works on an honesty system, and might I say, seems to be working very well indeed.


Feeling good about the surprises my city often presents me and armed with new umbrella and some James Ellroy crime fiction (yes, I will brave the centre once more to return it...and drop off a few shelf fillers of my own) I found my way to a well panelled, cosy and warm bar down the western end of Little Bourke street to enjoy an ample dram of Cragganmore, a wonderful  single Malt Whisky, the perfect drop with which to begin a bit of James Ellroy crime and to fight off that cold I can feel coming on!


2 comments:

  1. how brilliant. glad to see there are a few gorgeous gems still around.

    Good find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that the dram of Cragganmore helped you to fight off the cold, Baron!

    With free books, the Little Library sounds like a wonderful place. Do you know who finances the space? It reminds me of how some cities have turned old telephone booths into book exchanges.

    Have you ever heard of BookCrossing.com? You label a book, leave it (or "release" it) somewhere for someone else to pick up and track its journey on the internet. I used to go to a cafe in Chicago whenever I was there because they had Book Crossing books. It was fun seeing how the books traveled around the world.

    ReplyDelete