Saturday

Great walls of fire...





A ten kilometre slog up and down a hot and dusty mountain ridge is not usually something I would encourage but a ten kilometre walk up and down a hot and dusty mountain ridge on top of a wall in 40 degree heat would never be countenanced.    So it was with some surprise and let me tell you, a high degree of alarm, that I found myself doing just that.  I had planned a peaceful excursion to the country-side, just a short car trip from Beijing culminating in a leisurely stroll along one of man's most famous and infamous constructions. Instead, with an injudicious "Yes" to the guide when asked whether I would like to experience one of the more dramatic and spectacular reaches of the Great Wall,  (after all, what harm could come of it), I was whisked away to endure three uncomfortable hours in a car devoid of suspension and two hours of gut-busting suffering between two lesser known Chinese villages before I was able to catch my breath!  I did however, arrive at the end, largely unharmed and more than a little pleased with myself. Was it worth it? Mmmmm...yes it was.  How ever many pictures you may have seen of it, nothing quite prepares you for the awe inspiring sight the Great Wall and surrounding country is...especially as it was largely devoid of tourists except for myself, a delightful Finnish woman who kept my spirits from flagging in the heat of the walk, a couple of disgustingly healthy and fit Spanish youngsters and a guide. 

With the sun setting slowly behind the watchtowers,  I was deep in contemplation of what I had just achieved when the guide, bless his soul, capped the moment perfectly by handing to each of us, an ice cold Tsingtao, a popular, well-hopped pilsner...perfect!

2 comments:

  1. Well Mr Akers, we think we remember you also and especially that well timed can of Chinese beer, strangely we have never been referred to as "disgusting" before but to be called Spanish as well ,very amusing.You help us laugh as we walk amongst the falling volcanic ash and dream of that Chinese beer

    Bon viate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny. I love meeting healthy and fit Spaniards.

    ReplyDelete