Thursday

There's no place like home...in winter!








Just a quick click of my heels and a rather tedious and soul destroying flight later, I am far from the tropical heat of Malaysia and back in the cloud of a cold, damp Melbourne winter...and I must say, I am thoroughly enjoying it.  Despite the fact that I have joined my fellow Melburnians in loudly decrying the wet conditions and sniffling at the cold mornings and exclaiming that life in the city is barely tolerable at this time of year, I am quietly enraptured by it all. It is expected, even mandatory to complain about Melbourne weather if one lives here, but I firmly believe that, like me, its "well-weathered" residents enjoy using the excuse of winter, to hucker down in one of the many warm and convivial bars that line its lanes and inhabit its beachside locations. 

As cosseting and enveloping as a wet, winter's day can be for me,  I am equally charmed to enjoy one of those days when Melbourne's winter sky sparkles and is crystal clear and the warm light favours all who venture outside.  Today is one such day and I have taken the opportunity to luncheon in the sun at an old haunt of mine in the beach-side suburb of St Kilda.  In keeping with the clarity of the winter sun and the remarkable quality of light, I have chosen the wonderfully floral, herbal and lightly spiced Bay of Fires Pinot Noir 2009 from Tasmania. A bright, vividly ripened drop, it would be difficult to find a more suitable accompaniment to a beautiful winter's days in Melbourne.

5 comments:

  1. LUNA Park in St Kilda! I love it there. I went on my own when I visited last year (how did we not meet?) and rode the wooden roller coaster. Then Miss Kittie took me and Miss Olive to Strokehouse nearby for lunch where I secretly coveted the Averna and lemon being served to the newscasters and sailors at the other table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Stokehouse and Averna...a perfect match Joseph and in perfect company.

      Delete
  2. That's right! It's winter in Australia. How could I have forgotten. My daughter is leaving this weekend for a two week trip to attend a big conference on coral that is taking place somewhere in your country. I'll have to ask her where it is and remind her to take clothes that are suitable for the weather. Coming from Boston, where it's currently 37 F, it's going to be quite a surprise.

    That would also explain why there are so many Australians in Paris at the moment! The place is overrun with your compatriots. It seems that I hear Aussie accents whenever I sit down at a cafe. It has caught my attention because it's more often Americans that I hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a cold winter down south Mary Kay but it is wonderfully warm in the north of Australia at this time of year. Being a conference on coral, it is likely that your daughter will be visiting somewhere in far north Queensland...home of the Great Barrier Reef. The weather should be amazing!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the info! I just checked and she's going to the International Coral Reef Symposium in Cairns but will visit friends in Sydney. I'm looking at her itinerary now and feeling a bit jealous - diving, jungle tours, etc! I'm actually really thankful that I you blogged about Melbourne because it made me realize that I didn't even know where she's going to be for the next two weeks. She's an adult, but still...

      Delete