Sunday

It fits beautifully...in Fitzroy!




I rarely seem to make it to the "other side" of the river on a sunny winter's day while in Melbourne, (the north/south traffic is just too appallingly frustrating to bother), but today finds me in the inner northern suburb of Fitzroy catching up with some old and some new friends, not only enjoying the sunshine, but appreciating the different aesthetic and relishing the charming streetscapes.  As comfortably accustomed as I am to the charms of the inner bayside locales, I really must make the effort more often to venture north as it really has a rustic Victorian beauty that differs from the interests to be found south of the Yarra.  Recognised widely as Melbourne's first suburb, Fitzroy is also one of Melbourne's most heterogeneous locations, making it near impossible to define simply. It is a little 'granola' and a little 'continental', historic while embracing the new.  It is just...different, with a narrative all of its own.  

Being a popular destination for Italian immigrants in the 1950's, the Fitroy and Carlton areas of Melbourne also makes it one of the best places in Melbourne to find a refreshing and satisfying Limoncello, that wonderfully scintillating Italian lemon liqueur that is like imbibing a shot of sunshine. For my mind, the best Limoncello is homemade, but if that proves too difficult to find, it worth searching for a variety from the islands of Procida, Ischia or Capri.  Today it will be an excellent homemade concoction, lovingly blended by a close friend. Prosit!

6 comments:

  1. Prost indeed. Salut. A Sante.

    Of course, limoncello should be given freely at the end of the meal in an Italian restaurant--to place a fee on the hospitality would seem inappropriate. Or at least that was the way it was always done in NIce (I know, not an Italian city).

    And Fitzroy, seems I've been there a time or two. I'm more a Yarra guy myself. Tarook? Is that what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Joseph. Limoncello is a tipple of hospitality. I too am a "South of the Yarra" fan but I do enjoy the odd foray north. It seems you have also discovered Toorak...very leafy and very grand!

      Delete
  2. Ahh now you are talking - you know the best Limoncello is found just around the corner from you chez moi - sorry wrong language but I don't think there is a similar phrase in Italian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best things in life are often just around the corner poppet. Looking forward to sharing a spot of Limoncello with you all.

      Delete
  3. Mmm, Limoncello! We must be on the same wavelength because I hesitated in front of a bottle of it at the grocery store this morning. Now I regret not buying it. I don't know where it came from, but the best Limoncello that I've had was while walking through the lemon and olive tree orchards on the Amalfi Coast. It was a scorching hot day in July and the first thing that they did when we arrived at a small restaurant overlooking the sea was to give us ice cold glasses of Limoncello. What a refreshing drink! As you so correctly say, "it's like a shot of sunshine".

    I love the red door in the middle photo and the fact that they have a heart on what I'm assuming is their mailbox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can think of no better place or better time to partake in Limoncello than after a hot walk on the Amalfi Coast.

      I too loved the red door Mary Kay. I think I would enjoy meeting those who have thoughtfully put a red heart on their letterbox!

      Delete