Sunday

Time, Temples and the Trinity







It is clear to all that have recently been in my company that my body is yet to become a temple, however, after a week or three of navel gazing, and yes, yoga in Bali, I am well on the way and have come to appreciate the nobility and beauty of commitment, not least the commitment the villagers of Payogan have to spiritualism and the village temple.
  
The temples of the village are central to life to the Balinese and each village has three, each dedicated to one of the Hindu trinity of Brahma, Shiva and Vishnu.  The Balinese believe that all are manifestations of one and the same supreme spirit Sanghyang Widhi.  Balinese Hinduism is strongly influenced by animism and naturalism, where the power of spirits lies in all objects and elements of life.  All basic principles in Balinese Hinduism revolve around obtaining balance and harmony between the different elements in life and afterlife, the dasar asasi. The charm of it all is that the key to balance in life is obtained through a harmonious relationship between the spirits, other human beings, and the nature that surrounds us.

Wanting to further pursue the concept of harmony, I, dressed appropriately in sarong and village sash, attended an important village celebration at the temple receiving a warm and friendly welcome. I was even encouraged to take photos of the preparations and stay to enjoy the festive atmosphere throughout the day.  What fun and high jinx! Absolutely charming!

But like most day time activities, all has gently melted into early evening and, with balance and harmony in mind, I have retired to a comfortable settee around the pool at my villa to contemplate the delights I had witnessed and to enjoy a small bottle of Bintang (beer)...a suitable and refreshing conclusion to what can only be described as a perfect day.


4 comments:

  1. Why would you ever leave? What a beautiful time you must be having.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed a beautiful time Joseph but I am painfully aware that it must all come to an end. Though I have posed the same question as you.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Joseph - why would you ever leave? In fact, that's the same question that I always asked myself whenever I left Bali. If there's anyplace on earth where one can achieve balance and harmony, it has got to be in a place like Ubud but not in Kuta or Nusa Dua. One of the main reasons that I haven't been back to Indonesia in years is because it's always so hard to tear myself away. Sigh. Thanks for the memories and the photos.

    Our children always loved it when they could help make the temple decorations. They were actually fairly good at it and there was no need for tv or other entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is going to be hard to leave Mary Kay...and you are right, a holiday in Bali really does need to be in a place like Ubud and surrounds and not Kuta or some of the more infamous and frequented coastal areas.

    ReplyDelete