Wednesday

Any Portugal in a storm.....



A quick jump over the salty pond and a whole other world.....


There are few cities that excite the imagination as much as that first glimpse of Lisbon's eccentric centre.......it is truly stunning.  White cobblestoned promenades leading skyward to mysterious lane ways, the dark and looming Castelo de Sao Jorge, funiculars that lead impossibly upwards, Lisbon is my kind of place.  I have perched myself precariously in a small fado club in the Bairro Alto inconspicuously (I think) grazing on a plate of marinated olives and soaking up a delightful local Ginja.  Ginja is a liqueur made from cherry-like ginja berries fermented in brandy.  It is traditionally served in shots with a fermented cherry on the bottom of the shot glass. I have however, dispensed with the cherry for the moment but have followed tradition by downing it in shots (plural).  I will eat the fermented cherries for desert.

2 comments:

  1. why is Portugal so financially a mess?

    I hear very good things about Lisbon and then equally bad things about the city as a place to visit. It seems to be a city you either love or hate, no inbetween. I've never been myself yet.

    But I love the writer Fernando Pessoa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joseph the Butler, there is a messy aspect to a lot of things in Portugal but don't let that daunt you. It is amazingly beautiful and more than a bit wonderful. Listen to some fado and you will get a true sense of the backbone of the country.

    ReplyDelete