Tuesday

Cry me a river...


Though the Thames is the bloodline of London, it is a much maligned feature.  Described at times as a sewer or drain, a cesspool of refuse or a stinky stream of despair, it is nonetheless, London's artery of some repute and does indeed, have it's charms.  I was pleasantly surprised while staying with friends this last week on the banks of the Thames in Battersea, (yes, that side of the river), when I was asked whether I would like to take an evening stroll along the river to Chelsea Bridge and across into Chelsea.  I will give anything a go, even exercise in London, and I must say, the stroll turned out to be a marvellous expedition through otherwise untapped delights of this city...I found it invigorating and recommend it to all those weary of the usual merry-go-round of London's attractions.  These river banks are alive with somewhat 'interesting' new architecture and enclaves of young city dwellers with views to the world.  What's more, at the end, one can rest the bones in a favourite old haunt in the back streets of Chelsea and enjoy, as I have, a well earned snifter of Lecompte 12 Year Calvados, a drop guaranteed to revive the spirits of foot-sore travellers everywhere.

1 comment: