Sunday

Hong Kong...Mussel city!





One really can't venture to the Orient without a quick foray into Hongkers for a chance to replenish the old wardrobe.  I haven't been here for many years but my favourite tailor still flourishes the finest cloth to keen customers, still continues to measure chests, necks and ever increasing bellies and still turns out the finest shirts that money can buy.  Having taken to ordering from afar in recent times, I was still remembered, or at least, my requirements were.  My needs are mostly simple as you know... interesting things to look at, great memories, fabulous food and a tipple at dusk...but one really must have good shirts!  With a fresh supply of marvellous shirts in hand however, it would be negligent not to sample the delights of this amazing "ant hill" with a quick whip around.   Buildings on buildings on buildings on even more buildings and you have Hong Kong.  But there is more.  Though the glamour of times past has largely faded, there is still an urgency in the air and the smell of expectation on people's breath.  I suspect I reeked of a similar expectation, except I had spied some fresh, milky mussels at a small street vendor and had expectations of a delicious repast to follow.  I was not disappointed, in fact more than pleasantly surprised, when my ample dish of spicy steamed mussels were accompanied  by a sly nip of Confucius Vodka, a traditional sweet Vodka from the mainland, Shandong to be exact...not the smoothest of tipple but perfect for spicy mussels in the streets of one of the most densely populated cities on earth.

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Confucius Vodka. Will have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baron, I didn't pick you as a musselman, but then you are an adventurer...I still think you're brave, eating molluscs out of that rather interesting body of water! (Love a mussel myself).

    ReplyDelete