Monday

Basking with the Basques...

Bilbao


 San Sebastian






Well readers, as you are more than likely aware, I have been somewhat "off the air" for a few weeks. What with a few technical difficulties and a desire to just put my feet up for a while, I have been more than remiss with keeping you up to date with my movements.  I have in fact, been sunning myself and indeed spoiling myself terribly in the Basque country. Let there be no mistake, the Basques are unique...from the language to libations...and from entertainment to cultural pursuits there is a distinct tradition to this 'part' of Spain that is unlike any other.  I was charmed by the shady beauty and strong personality of Bilbao and the sheer beauty and delight of the Guggenheim, but I am totally overwhelmed by the...all...of San Sebastian. And it has it all in abundance: sweeping city beaches, sultry and svelte night life and the most remarkable food to be found anywhere.  The chefs of San Sebastian have taken the once humble pintxo (the Basque version of tapas) to an extreme art form and all are displayed within easy reach...one's taste buds will never be the same.


It is said that the old quarter or Parte Vieja has more bars per square metre than anywhere else.  There is certainly no shortage of choice for a location for my evening tipple...one overlooking Bahia de la Concha I think best serves my purpose.  What better way to start the evening than with a perfect view of the beach in an evening glow and a deliciously dusty 1995 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 904 in hand. Life is indeed grand.

3 comments:

  1. Is the Koons still in Bilboa?

    And what I'd give for a Basque beach at the moment...ah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Koons is alive and barking in Bibao...see photo 1.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baron, great post, basquing indeed! Did you pop into Cal Pep?

    ReplyDelete