Tuesday

Paris...welcome to the Culture Club!





Bon chic...bon genre!  You just have to love this City of Light and I certainly do.  Just when you think you can't possibly squeeze one more gallery, museum or concept store in, another one virtually opens before your eyes.  What high jinx and larks are to be had in discovering something new...for that is what Paris does best.  It constantly reinvents itself just as it has year after year after year, and it never disappoints.  I chose to stay in the 11th on this visit and I was more than rewarded for the journey a little further out of the hurly-burly than was once considered chic.  It now abounds with great acoustic music venues and wonderful eateries doing the most amazing things with rabbits and ducks...terrines may just become my new passion! But what is most comforting is the friendliness of those who inhabit the 11th.  Make no mistake, it is very local and more than a little grungy, but the city's bourgeois bohemians...or bobos...have brought  a hip coolness to the area. As such, I have certainly had no difficulty in finding a location for this evening's libations and have suitably chosen one of my favourite indulgences to start the evening. Chartreuse! I have always felt an affinity with this wonderful nectar and I have managed to find one of the few establishments that serve what can only be described as a tonic for good health... Elixir végétal de la grande-Chartreuse...over ice of course.  Far too serious to be imbibed unadulterated and really, not recommended.  In this form, it is more like a cordial than a mere liqueur.  Just remember, drink it with your head held high! 

4 comments:

  1. I'm famous for the Norman Invasion, named by Kittie, which is equal parts Jameson's, Chartreuse, and sweet vermouth; stirred over ice, served straight up. Delicious and lethal.

    Glad you've made it to Paris, my favorite place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobos and chartreuse...what could be more perfect?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Chartreuse! I only recently learned about this drink. And you're so right that Paris never disappoints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to return again next year Mary Kay and certainly looking forward to again imbibing that wonderful liquor!

      Delete